Wednesday, June 1, 2016

June 2016 Artist of the Month| Soon Warren

Congratulations to our June 2016 Artist of the Month, Soon Warren! Warren was a finalist in The Artist’s Magazine‘s Annual Art Competition! Her piece Hearts in Heart is seen below. Read more about the artist below and why she considers creating art more than just a job.

Fort Worth, Texas ~ soonwarren.com

watercolor_artist_soon_warren

Hearts in Heart (watercolor on paper, 22×30) by Soon Warren

I have loved to draw for as long as I can remember. I am an artist full time. Creating art is the greatest job in the world, but I don’t think of creating art as just a job—it’s my friend, my hobby, my dream, my passion.

I mainly work with watercolor and oil. The inspiration for Hearts in Heart was the Chinese lantern. I grew up with this plant that we called “Quarie” in Korean. The plant brought back so many memories of growing up with very little in the countryside. I take photos whenever I have the subject matter that inspires me. I usually set up in front of a window that allows plenty of sunlight and take photos with different settings and perspectives. My intention was to focus on the lantern sitting on the top right of the bowl. The rest of the process is fairly spontaneous, working on a section I like in the moment. I draw very carefully to understand the subject matter before I start painting. I use a dominant, warm, reddish brown color palette, Cadmium Yellow, Scarlet Lake, Permanent Rose, and Permanent Alizarin Crimson, and Sepia. The love how the bright yellow tip is juxtaposed against the dark background. I used Prussian Blue, Turquoise and Indigo to cool the painting down. The stem was painted with Hooker’s Green.

I spend roughly a week on a painting if I consistently work on it, but I usually don’t paint from start to finish all at once. I work on different paintings from time to time until I need to settle down and finish one. The background was a bit challenging. I didn’t want the hard lines where background and foreground meet to be obvious. Instead of softening the dark background, I introduced yellow and orange for the transition colors between. I’m really happy with how it turned out.

I feel as though art is in my DNA. Seeing, feeling and creating beautiful art is my passion and the most rewarding gift. My future plans are very simple: I will paint until I die.

The post June 2016 Artist of the Month| Soon Warren appeared first on Artist's Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment