Friday, July 1, 2016

July 2016 Artist of the Month | Tong Luo

Congratulations to our July 2016 Artist of the Month, Tong Luo! Luo was a finalist in The Artist’s Magazine‘s Annual Art Competition! His piece Lonely Girl can be seen below. Read more about Luo, his art education, what he tries to accomplish with his vision, and who has been a constant source of inspiration throughout his life.

Guangzhou, China

oil_painter_tong_luo

Lonely Girl (oil on canvas, 36×36) by Tong Luo

 

My father was a great influence one me, he taught fine art to college students. I started creating art at six years old, and went on to graduate from Guangzhou Academy of art in 1997 and the New York Academy of Art in 2013. I’ve been a full-time artist since 2001, but before I was a college lecturer.

My medium of choice is oil, and I would describe my style as contemporary realism. My goal is to depict the isolation that rests between people and the environment around us. I typically work from photographs, and my pieces typically take three to four weeks to complete. Lonely Girl took roughly this long to complete.

It is incredibly difficult to explore a person’s subconscious, and even harder to interpret into a painting. Still, it’s my favorite part of the process, figuring out how to represent a person’s thoughts.

In the future I’d like to exhibit my art more. I’m looking forward to a show called Art Toronto, in Canada, this October, Canada’s international contemporary and modern art fair.

A friend of mine convinced me that I should enter my work in the Annual Art Competition so more people could see my work, and I’m glad I did. Creating art is my way of showing how I perceive the world around me. I want to thank my wife and my parents, the people who have given me complete support.

The post July 2016 Artist of the Month | Tong Luo appeared first on Artist's Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment