Saturday, October 15, 2016

Pastel Studies | The Foundation for Greatness

Maria Marino, a featured artist in the December 2016 issue of Pastel Journal,
brings her pioneering spirit to her pastel aesthetic: a combination of bold impasto textures, impassioned mark-making and sumptuous, intuitive color.

But these masterful paintings first begin as sketches or pastel studies. “Drawing accurately is at the heart of a successful painting,” she sys. “I believe it’s how we work to solve the issues in a composition. I also sketch to record my emotions about the subject before me.”

Marino has always had a fondness for drawing and painting. “In fact, when I was a child, I drew all over my mother’s walls,” she says. And she still keeps an active sketchbook today. View some of her pastel studies below, and read more about Marino in the December issue of Pastel Journal, available now in print or as a digital download.

Sacred Ones by Maria Marino | pastel studies

Sacred Ones by Maria Marino

 

My Ol’ Sycamore by Maria Marino | pastel studies

My Ol’ Sycamore by Maria Marino

 

Song of the Trees (pastel, 18x24) by Maria Marino | pastel studies

You can see how Maria Marino’s studies such as My Ol’ Sycamore and Sacred ones, both above, informed pastel paintings like Song of the Trees (pastel, 18×24).

 

Hell’s Kitchen Skyline by Maria Marino | pastel studies

Hell’s Kitchen Skyline by Maria Marino

 

Believe, 151 W. 34th by Maria Marino | pastel studies

Believe, 151 W. 34th by Maria Marino

 

Dawn by Maria Marino | pastel studies

Dawn by Maria Marino

 

 

The post Pastel Studies | The Foundation for Greatness appeared first on Artist's Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment