Thursday, November 10, 2016

Art Competition Spotlight on Tricia George

Competition Spotlight artists are chosen from The Artist’s Magazine’s Annual Art Competition finalists. Click here to learn about our open art contests and enter your best work today!

Art competition spotlight | Tricia George, ArtistsNetwork.com

Home (aluminum leaf, acrylic paints and plasters, 36×44) by Tricia George, triciageorge.com

Art Competition Spotlight: Tricia George

I began Home (above) by troweling multiple layers of metallic acrylics mixed with acrylic gel mediums and colored plasters on a panel primed with STIX primer. Once those layers dried, I sanded the surface with 400-grit wet sandpaper. I had soaked the sandpaper in water so there was less friction when sanding the panel surface. Wet sanding gives the surface a glasslike feel while allowing multiple layers. I then applied additional layers of acrylic wax mixed with metallic acrylics in a range of silver, taupe, copper and bronze.

Once I was happy with the background, I proceeded to draw a grid with a graphite pencil. The grid acted as a guide for applying the aluminum leaf in a uniform pattern. Prior to applying the aluminum leaf, I coated the entire panel with water-based Wunda size for gilding.

After running out of aluminum leaf before finishing the second background layer, I improvised by using scraps of aluminum leaf found around my studio. Once I’d applied the leaf, I glazed the majority of the leaf with an asphaltum glaze in order to reduce the reflections.

My best advice is to push through the fear; don’t be afraid to make a mistake!

Art competition spotlight | Tricia George, ArtistsNetwork.com

 

The post Art Competition Spotlight on Tricia George appeared first on Artist's Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment